Thursday, August 18, 2005

More rain & a bloody morning

It rain so heavily when I left my home this morning. Thought the sky would have dried up from last evening's shower but I guess mother nature is greater than I thought. As always, I was late to work this morning and today, I was not the only one. The door was still locked. Thank goodness I have the office keys. No one has came in yet. Everyone must have been late due to the rain. The phone in the office was ringing non stop and I was like a mad girl trying to answer all the calls.

Three of my colleagues came to work soaking wet. Thanking goodness again, we have a saloon-type hair dryer that was extremely helpful in drying up everyone. So, there were whirring and buzzing all morning in the office. Plus the cleaner was also vacumming the carpet at the same time.

Oh yes, the highlight of today - Blood Donation Drive in our office building. So, I went to donate. Everyone working in the same floor as me donated too. Ok, back to the story. Bear with me. If boring, just click on the (X) button on the top right corner of ur browser.

I went through the normal routine...

Filled up the donor form -> did the blood test -> doctor (trainee, i think) checked blood pressure -> a clerk marked the donor record book and assign the serial number and blood type -> nurse placed blood bag next to u -> nurse tightened the wrap around the top arm -> I have to grip a plastic tube (the one you use as plumbing tube) -> nurse searched for my veins, tap tap, slap, slap -> nurse poked the needle into the vein and said "Ubat bius" -> I wondered. How come last time don't have ubat bius? -> nurse poked the bigger needle -> blood flow out like water pipe -> my hand continued to grip and let go and grip and let go the plastic tube -> nurse weighed the blood bag -> only 250ml -> nurse weighed again -> 300ml -> nurse cut the tube of blood that goes to the blood bag. They collected 350ml of blood from me -> nurse take 2 tube full of blood for HIV & Hepatitis testing -> nurse removed the big needle of my arm -> nurse asked me to press the punctured vein with a small ball of cotton -> I rested a while -> nurse put a plaster on my arm -> yay, I can go off -> I took a fruit cake and packet of sugar cane water -> I walked back to the lift

And then...

I felt something wet on my arm, a bit warm yet a bit cold. I looked and found a huge patch of blood on my sleeve and blood was flowing down my arms. Wah...looks like I was stabbed!

Anyway, some girls (the organisers, I think) panicked. They made me lay down and I was only allowed to go back when I assured them I will be fine. Anyway, you won't die unless you lose 2 liter of blood. So, I guess I will be alive and kicking.

One girl made a joke that I should not show this to anyone coz many people may not want to donate after seeing what had happened to me.

My main concern is that if my blood dried up on my sleeve, it would stained the shirt. So, I had to get it washed quickly. When I reached my office, I was so lucky as my colleague, P had an extra t-shirt with her. So, I changed to her t-shirt and washed my shirt. And thank goodness again for that powerful hair dryer, I was able to dry my shirt.

krazie*angel wished that she has a digital camera to snapped up some evidence of the oozing blood

No comments: