Friday, June 30, 2006

The all time fav superhero - Superman!

Superman Returns was entertaining. I enjoyed the movie, kinda reminded me when I just a kid. My dad took me to watch the old Superman movie in the cinema when I was a kid. It was like a big treat for me back then.

I like especially the part where the bullet crumpled up when it hit Superman's eyeball. How cool is that?

And the new star of Superman, Brandon Routh, who has the similar look like our good ol' Superman - Christopher Reeves, is pretty cute.

Ok, Hollywood entertainment of 2 hour of Superman saving the world being destroyed by the villain aside, this superhero is uncannily seems like a potrayal of Jesus Christ. Funnily, the Catholic church did not make any noise about this, like how they did for Da Vincci Code.

Well, the movie tell us that Superman was sent to earth by his father. In the bible, Jesus was sent to earth by God, whom is the Father. Superman has super ordinary strength. And Jesus can perform miracle powers.

And the names...
Martha, name of Superman's mother starts with M, like Mary
Lex Luther, the evil villain, starts with L, like Lucifer

And there is this part in the movie where Jor-El says to Clark, "Even though you've been raised as a human being you're not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son"

Doesn't it sound like what we have been taught in Christianity where God send His only begotten son to us?

Clark, with his Superman front, says to Lois in one nite... "You wrote that the world doesn't need a saviour, but every day I hear people crying for one."

Did I hear Saviour? Isn't Jesus the Saviour too?

In the movie, Superman died for brief time and was alive again. Jesus died too and was resurrected.

And the movie poster, where Superman is floating has the same kind of pose like some pictures of Jesus. Well, it kinda reminded me of Jesus. See below...



Anyhow, I would still suggest that everyone free some time to go watch Superman Returns. For me, I felt like a kid again, cos Superman was the "IN" superhero during my childhood. It is also a nicer experience to watch this movie on the big screen.

And they dedicated this movie to the late Christopher and Dana Reeves. Nice, isn't it?

3 comments:

Ghostwriter said...

When I was a kid, I watched all the Superman movies too. Later on, as an adult, I watched it again and I found that all the special effects that I never noticed before were sooooo obvious to me now as an adult.

Our exposure to high-tech effects in practically every action movie has now increased our expectations for what looks 'real'. Or, it could be as simple as the enchantment that the original Superman movies held for us when we were kids that clouds our judgment? We live in a more cynical world now and perhaps it takes more to 'enchant' us these days.

What 'enchants' you?

Asther said...

Wah... go watch movie never ask me, ar? Hehehe... Or did u have a hot date? ;P

k*a said...

Hi ghostwriter,
Glad to hear from you. You are always going to hiatus after each post :P

Your comments are very deep. Well, what you say is true. I remember when I was a kid, even watching Ultraman will enchants me. I often wonder how come there is no monster destroying Malaysia like how they did in Tokyo.

What enchants me? I guess genuine kindness and the good in humanity enchants me these days.

Frankly, the more I try to think, I really don't know. Yes, we live in a world where we became more cynical than we care to know, and we became a little bitter or a little sceptical and a little wary along the way. And it is not healthy but it is normal to be that way.

This question of yours need a lot of pondering.


Hi Asther,

Ya loh, I did not ask anyone. It was a 11.20pm movie on Thursday, a bit too late for everyone. It is not a hot date lah! Not gone on date for a long long time, very pathetic hor.